Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sandwich Bar at Coates

Ever have a class that ends under half an hour after Mabee dining hall closes? Today was one of those circumstances and it's always frustrating especially since Mabee has a much more appealing food selection. Another negative aspect about today was that when I woke up I faintly heard my roommate saying "...well I either have strep or mono, they'll find out tomorrow." Whenever I feel like there is the possibility that I will become sick, or whenever I start feeling under the weather, I make sure I wash my hands consistently, get good sleep, but most importantly I eat healthy. I woke up feeling pretty crappy so I decided to make a nutritious sandwich up at Coates. I like to think I have perfected making a sandwich given the ingredients the school has up at the Commons. I ALWAYS start my sandwich with focaccia bread. Focaccia is similar to the Italian herbs and cheese bread which they have at Subway's (the bread that is shown in the slideshow at the bottom of the page.) I choose turkey as my primary meat (sometimes I'll feel adventurous and order bacon, too) and more than likely mozzarella as my dairy, ALWAYS TOASTED. Because I believe most places do not know how to prepare/serve lettuce well on sandwiches, I prefer spinach. Spinach is also a great source of iron, calcium and other nutrients such as vitamin A and C. Along with spinach, alfalfa sprouts are another good vegetable to include in the sandwich. Alfalfa sprouts are a great source of fiber (as dehydrated alfalfa is used as a dietary supplement in the pill form,) as well as they generally contain a good amount of protein, hence the reason they are a great source of energy for livestock. I also include red onions and bell peppers. For my dressing, I'll generally go with either pesto and pesto mayo, or dijon mustard and spicy radish dressing. The price of this sandwich is exactly $6.18, similar to what you would pay at Subway or Quiznos, but because meal plan/Tiger Bucks is essentially monopoly money that a student's parents generally pay for, it's more economically advantageous to buy a sandwich up at Coates. A good snack to have with a sandwich like this is Doritos Baked Sour Cream & Cheddar chips. To stay healthy, I also recommend drinking water with an Airborne. Airborne is an effervescent that you put into a water and it turns it into a mildly carbonated, lightly fruity beverage which includes 1667% of one's daily vitamin C need. This copious amount of vitamin C is good for supporting a healthy immune system.
Overall I would give this meal an 8/10 due to its consistency in providing a hearty, tasty, nutritious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment