Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Not Quite Taco Taco, But It'll Do

This morning I had an early breakfast because I pulled an all-nighter reviewing for a test (what a student I am.) Because I usually don't get up at the butt crack of dawn, I don't find myself getting to Mabee too often for breakfast. I went around 8 AM today which is really pleasant time to go because the dining hall is quiet and there are no lines. Plus, if you are a sports enthusiast like myself you can get prime seating to watch ESPN on the flat screen. In the morning you can get breakfast at a select few areas, including Home Zone, the bakery good area, the do-it-yourself fruit parfait section, the cold fruit shelf or, if you feel so inclined, you can buy pre-made sushi. I decided to go to the Home Zone. This bar has a wide array of breakfast selections one can make, and aside from the pancakes and french toast you cannot order, the selection is similar to that of any breakfast joint. The possibilities range from sausage and eggs, to biscuits and gravy and for those who are not familiar with San Antonio, of course...breakfast tacos. I decided to get breakfast tacos, which can be filled with anything from bacon to beans to salsa. The types of tacos I get are generally the same, but with different meats each time. In one I will get chorizo, which is a sausage smoked with chili powder and dried smoked red peppers. Another taco will include sausage and egg, and the third taco will have migas. Migas, which literally means "crumbs," is a mixed dish which includes egg, tortilla bits, onions, tomatoes, peppers, cheese and chorizo. I also add refried beans and cheese into all three tacos. As a Mexican dish and a breakfast taco essential, I get salsa as well. A good drink to have with breakfast is the Odwalla orange juice. It is freshly squeezed with 100% juice and an ample amount of Vitamin C to support a healthy immune system. Granted the juice is $3.19, but it's a hell of a lot better than the generic Minute Maid orange juice which tastes like complete concentrate. This is approximately a $7 to $8 meal.

Eating Tip: If you are planning on eating at either Mabee or Coates, grab some napkins while you're at the utensil bar. I've realized that both these dining facilities have removed many of the table-top napkin dispensers for reasons I don't know. Whatever the reason, it is obnoxious to have to get up in the middle of a meal when you spill something or get some food sauce on your hands/face. If you take the initiative to grab some napkins right near the check out line you will never have to leave your personal dining dōjō.

No comments:

Post a Comment